Saturday, June 9, 2012

Dracula

Mom is so disgusted in his cruel and violent ways, that she refuses to be his family anymore!

But really Dracula is a fictional character that was inspired by Vlad Drãculea, ruling prince of Wallachia from 1456 - 1462. He posthumously gained the moniker 'Tepes' (Impaler) after his favoured form of punishing his enemies - impaling.

So this is how he did it, unthinkable!!! A dull wooden stake was carefully inserted into the anus, driven slowly through the body, avoiding vital organs, until it emerged from the mouth, resulting in hours, even days, of agony before death.

Today he is more legendary as the inspiration for the 19th century novelist, Bram Stoker's novel, 'Count Dracula'.

Sighišoara is the spot were Vlad Tepes Dracula was born, and this dreamy citadel has brightly coloured, half a millennium old town houses bordering hilly cobbled strees, and church bells that clang atmospherically for hours.

We are so impressed with all the crafts. Beautiful hand carved crosses, embroidery, and spoons, carved with traditional symbolism of the stork, the two lovers, and one for luck of course is on sale.

The train fills up more and more with over friendly gypsies, I ask one to read my palm. The conductor shouts but I say: it's ok! A young student translates. People in the compartment kills themselves laughing! But what she said was true: I have just had a message from a great love! And it made me very happy!! Yes! I cried about the death of a son! Yes, my brother! I am going to a funeral. And yes I did go to the funeral when I walked through the new town to take pictures. And there is a wedding for me too...Miracles do happen!

So then I read her palm! She just nods yes yes yes about everything I say but when I say she had 3 husbands she vehemently says NO!

Now the palm comes out for the tip! I gave her all the change for her effort and the toothless fairy godmother is very happy!

I look at the check pattern on her skirt and she shows me the layer over layer of skirt and the bloomers underneath! Ma sê: sies man hulle stink 'n bietjie! Nadat sy nounet vertel het dat haar dokter sê ons bad te veel!

We see a photo of Prince Charles in an establishment he had frequented. The Romanians love him too!

At our guesthouse in the old citadel, the lady makes lemonade from the beautiful lace flowers. She also dries the flowers to make tea! Here we often see them pick herbs next to the station, they use it for medicine or as part of their daily cuisine. From a pine tree they make a tea, that they use as as a cough mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment