Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Romania

We cross the Danube into Romania. The border patrol is very nice to us when we say Vuvuzela, and that Interpol is looking for dad. On the train is a Turk that is in charge of the sleep wagon, he wants to charge us € 10 per person. I protest heavily, no way I say, I am not moving and I am not paying anything either. Mr. Hennop takes his suitcase and moves, but comes back a while later to find us still in the compartment. Then the Turk comes to say we can stay. He was trying to take us for a ride.

Later he offers us coffee for €1, I ask is it hot he says yes, come look! In his compartment he is totally geared up! He has a gas stove and he boils hot water for coffee or tea. I ask: what about an explosion on the train, he says: then we have express train to Romania. The German traveller says: second income, yes we say, he tried that one on us!

We wait for a long time at the border and ask the Turk: how long to Bucharest? A week he says!

We see hectares and hectares of mealies and sunflowers. Pa sê 500 ha aaneen geplant! Die grootste grond met gewasse wat ek in my lewe nog gesien het. Hulle plant lusern vir wisselbou. En kyk die wilgebome! Elke ou maak sy eie wyntjie! Die wingerde!

My pa sê dis 100 keer groter as die Springbokvlakte, van horison tot horison sien jy net koring, mielies en sonneblomme. Dan bliksem ons in Afrika in, my voorgeslagte! En die belangrikste is elke ou se Huistuine.

We train past oil fields! First time I see that in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment